Fettuccine with white beans, arugula and carrots (meatless meal)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Makes: 4 servings
Complex carbohydrates come from whole grains, legumes, and starchy vegetables, all of which play starring roles in this rustic pasta dish. Learn more about Carbohydrates
|8 oz||whole wheat fettuccine||250 g|
|1 tsp + 2 tbsp||extra-virgin olive oil||35 mL|
|1 tsp||minced garlic, or more to taste||5 mL|
|1||white beans can (19 oz/540 mL) drained and rinsed||1|
|3 medium||Carrots (peeled and coarsely grated or julienne)||3 medium|
|1/2 tsp||salt||1 mL|
|8 cups||washed, stemmed, and torn arugula)(about 2 bunches)||2 L|
|1 tbsp||fresh lemon juice||15 mL|
|1/2 cup||parmigian reggiano cheese (freshly grated)||125 mL|
- In large pot of boiling salted water, begin cooking fettuccine according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in large skillet, heat 1 tsp (5 mL) oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant and just beginning to colour, about 30 seconds. Add beans, carrots and salt and stir until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- When pasta is ready, scoop 1/2 cup (125 mL) of cooking water into bean mixture. Drain pasta.
- Add arugula, lemon juice and remaining 2 tbsp (30mL) oil to bean mixture and stir until arugula is wilted, about 2 minutes. Add drained pasta to skillet and stir until juices have nearly evaporated, about 3 minutes longer.
- Serve topped with cheese.
Nutrients per Serving
|Fat||10 grams fat (0 g saturated fat)|
Variations: Substitute watercress or baby spinach for the arugula