Find out what causes morning sickness and what you can do to help manage it.


  • You are more likely to experience morning sickness if you are pregnant with more than one baby.
  • Morning sickness includes nausea, queasiness and/or vomiting.
  • More than 2/3 of pregnant women experience some type of morning sickness.
  • Morning sickness can occur at any time of day.
  • Some researchers believe morning sickness is caused by a rise in hormone levels.
  • Nausea and vomiting usually begin around the 6th week of pregnancy. For 80% of sufferers, this condition stops around the 12th week of pregnancy although queasiness can come and go throughout pregnancy. The remaining 20% will suffer from nausea and vomiting for a longer period of time.
  • Call your doctor if your nausea or vomiting is severe, if you can't keep fluids down, have a small amount of dark urine, are dizzy or faint, have a racing heart beat, or are vomiting blood.

How to cope with your morning sickness:

  • Keep crackers by the bed, so you can eat some before you get up.
  • Get out of bed slowly.
  • Eat small meals and snacks frequently throughout the day.
  • Avoid an empty stomach. Try not to skip meals.
  • Drink small amounts of fluids frequently during the day.
  • Avoid drinking fluids during meals and immediately before or after a meal.
  • Avoid odours that bother you.
  • Try eating cold food instead of hot (cold food may not smell as strong as hot food)
  • If you're nauseous, try crackers, toast, applesauce or bananas.
  • Try sipping on bubbly or sweet cold drinks.
  • Ginger supplements (250 mg ginger powder as capsules, 4 times daily) may help.
  • Get plenty of rest since nausea tends to worsen when you are tired.
Related Articles