This episode of Amazing Milestones is all about what to eat when pregnant. Join Tara and Dr. Cynthia Godbout as they discuss what foods to eat during pregnancy, what foods not to eat and the essential nutrients you need in your diet nowadays. Here are some tasty tidbits to look forward to when you watch the video:
What to Eat When Pregnant: Video Highlights
- As the saying goes, “An apple a day keeps the doctor away!” Be sure to eat your fruits and veggies to help maintain a balanced pregnancy diet.
- Choose whole grains over foods like white rice and white bread. Whole grains are high in fibre, which is beneficial during pregnancy.
- Protein is a must. In particular, focus on incorporating fatty fish like salmon and mackerel into your diet. Fatty fish is rich in DHA and Omega-3s, which help support the normal development of your baby’s eyes and brain.
- Get your calcium. In addition to milk, you can get calcium from foods like chickpeas, leafy greens and even tofu.
- Double the quality, not the quantity. Pregnant women only need around 350-400 calories more per day compared to non-pregnant women. Add a nutritious snack to your day to fill the gap!
- Stay hydrated! Drink plenty of water during pregnancy. You can also enjoy milk.
- Do supplement with a prenatal vitamin.
- Don’t consume alcohol, fish with high mercury levels or unpasteurized dairy, all of which can be harmful to your pregnancy
Would you like to learn more about what to eat when pregnant? Check out our pregnancy nutrition tips today!