Pregnant and breastfeeding Moms need certain nutrients to help build a strong foundation for their baby's development. So we're sharing new and exciting recipes that include them, from magnificent meals packed with protein to delicious dishes that include healthy fats. You may not be able to decide what's more fun, cooking or eating all these scrumptious meals.
Lamb Kebabs with millet pilaf
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Makes: 4 servings
Millet is a quick-cooking whole grain with a light nutty flavour, which you may find in the natural foods section. You can use whole wheat couscous instead. Lamb is a great source of protein. Learn more about Protein
|8||bamboo skewers (10-inch/25 cm)||8|
|1 cup||millet||250 mL|
|2 tsp||olive oil||10 mL|
|2 1/2 cups||water||625 mL|
|1/2 tsp||salt||2 mL|
|1/4 cup||chopped parsley||50 mL|
|2 tsp||ground cumin (optional)||10 mL|
|2 tsp||ground coriander or crushed coriander seeds (optional)||10 mL|
|1/4 tsp||salt||1 mL|
|Pinch||ground black pepper||Pinch|
|1 lb||boneless leg of lamb, fat trimmed and cut into 1-1/2-inch (4 cm) pieces, about 1- 1/2 lb (750 g) prior to trimming||500 g|
|24 (about 1 pint)||cherry tomatoes||24 (about 1 pint)|
- Place bamboo skewers in shallow dish and add water to cover; set aside to soak.
- Put millet and oil in medium saucepan; stir over medium-high heat until lightly toasted, about 4 minutes. Add water and salt, and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low, cover pan and cook until millet is tender and has absorbed all liquid, 25 to 30 minutes. Stir in parsley. (Pilaf can stand for up to 30 minutes before serving.)
- Meanwhile, preheat grill or broiler. In medium bowl, stir together cumin, coriander, salt and pepper; add lamb and toss until evenly coated with spice mixture. (If not using spices, season with salt and pepper.)
- Divide lamb among 4 skewers. Divide cherry tomatoes among remaining 4 skewers.
- Place lamb skewers on grill or under broiler. Cook, turning midway, until lamb has reached desired degree of doneness, about 8 minutes for medium-rare or 10 minutes for medium.
- Add tomato skewers to grill or broiler during last 4 minutes of cooking time. Serve skewers on top of millet pilaf.
Nutrients per Serving
|Fat||11 grams fat (2.5 g saturated fat)|