Try this Enfagrow ® A+ ® Classic Broccoli Cheddar Soup recipe for toddlers!
Classic Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Makes 6 servings
- 1 bunch broccoli 750 g (approx1-1/2 lbs)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 small baking potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups (500 mL) reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tsp (2 mL) grated orange rind
- ½ tsp (2 mL) dried thyme
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) pepper, black
- 2 cups (500 mL) 2% milk
- 200 mL (1 serving) prepared Enfagrow® A+® Toddler Milk Flavour
- 1 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded cheddar cheese
- Peel and chop broccoli stems and coarsely chop florets, keeping stems and florets separate (you should have about 6 cups/1.5 L total).
- In a pot, combine broccoli stems, onion, potatoes, garlic, broth, orange rind, thyme, and pepper; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 min. Add florets; simmer, covered, for 5 min or until vegetables are softened.
- Transfer to a blender or food processor, in batches, or use an immersion blender in the pot and puree soup, adding milk and prepared Enfagrow® A+ ® Toddler Milk Flavour, until smooth. Return to pot, if necessary. Heat over medium heat, stirring, until steaming, but do not let boil. Stir in more milk if soup is too thick. Season with up to 1 tsp (2 mL) salt.
Serving Suggestion: Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with cheese. Serve with whole grain bun/roll or croutons. Food Guide Serving Equivalents 1 serving of Milk and Alternatives
Nutritional Information per serving (1/2 cup)
|Selected Key Nutrients||Amount|
|DHA (a type of Omega-3 fat)||3 mg|
|Selected Key Nutrients||% Daily Requirements per Serving*|
Note: Nutritional analysis is approximate and may vary depending on ingredient brands used and temperature of cooking
*Recommended Dietary Allowances/Adequate Intakes for toddlers 1-3 years of age †Primarily in children up to 24 months of age