Find out how many calories you should consume and what foods to eat to support your baby's healthy development.
Here are some healthy ways to increase your calories:
- Balance your diet by following Eating Well with Canada's Food Guide
- Eat a variety of foods within the 4 food groups
- Set up a schedule for meals and snacks
- Be sure to get enough dairy every day, like low fat milk, yogurt or cheese
- Add more fruits, vegetables, and whole grain breads to your menus
- Carry snacks like dried fruits, nuts, and whole grain crackers in your purse
- Stay hydrated
- Eat frequent mini-meals or snacks
- Women pregnant with one baby have increased nutritional needs, but women with a twin pregnancy may need even more iron and folic acid. Health Canada recommends taking a multivitamin containing 400 µg (0.4 mg) of folic acid and 16-20 mg of iron throughout pregnancy. Speak to your doctor or dietitian to ensure you are meeting your increased nutritional needs.
- Consult our Nutrient Guide for more information
- Make sure you get beneficial amounts of DHA (an omega-3 fat)
- DHA supports your babies' normal brain and eye development.
Learn more about how to get DHA in your diet