Pregnant and breastfeeding Moms need certain nutrients to help build a strong foundation for their baby's development. So we're sharing new and exciting recipes that include them, from magnificent meals packed with protein to delicious dishes that include healthy fats. You may not be able to decide what's more fun, cooking or eating all these scrumptious meals.
Slow-Baked Salmon with tomato, orange and basil sauce
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20-30 minutes
- Makes: 4 servings
Cooking salmon at a low temperature in the oven makes it easy to prepare, and keeps it super moist. Salmon is a great source of DHA (an Omega-3 fat). Learn more about DHA
|1 lb||salmon fillet with skin||500 g|
|1 tsp||olive oil||5 mL|
|1 1/2 lb||vine-ripened tomatoes (about 6 medium)||750 g|
|2 tsp||extra-virgin olive oil||10 mL|
|1 tsp||minced garlic||5 mL|
|1/2 tsp||cornstarch||2 mL|
|2 tbsp||fresh basil leaves(finely sliced)||30 mL|
To make Salmon:
- Preheat oven to 300º F (150º C).
- Place salmon skin-side-down on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush top with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until flesh in thickest part appears cooked (separate flesh with tip of paring knife to check).
To make Sauce:
- While salmon bakes, cut tomatoes in half crosswise. Squeeze out seeds and discard. Set box grater in medium bowl. Holding hand flat, rub cut side of each tomato half over coarse side of grater until only skin remains; discard skins.
- In large skillet over medium heat, heat oil; add garlic and stir until fragrant and just beginning to colour, about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and simmer until most of watery portion has evaporated, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Grate 1 tsp (5 mL) zest and squeeze 3 tbsp (45 mL) juice from orange. Combine zest and juice with cornstarch, stirring until cornstarch is dissolved.
- Add mixture to tomato sauce along with basil; stir briefly until sauce has returned to simmer.
- Use metal spatula to remove portions of salmon, leaving skin behind. Serve with sauce spooned on top.
Nutrients per Serving
|Fat||16 grams fat (2.6 g saturated fat)|